Trusting God in Turbulent Times by Tony Evans. Published September 8, 2026.
I have never met Tony Evans but started listening to his sermons and reading his books many years ago. When our oldest son was diagnosed with leukemia and went to his heavenly reward, a couple of Evans’ books helped me through those days. His “Hope for the Hurting” and “Divine Interruption: Holding on to Faith When Life Breaks Your Heart” (co-written with his family) were good books that helped me through the dark days. I have recommended them to various people going through similar circumstances.
I look at this devotional as an unofficial part of the same series.
As the author describes it in the introduction, it is easy to be faithful when things are going well. It’s when the turbulence hits that our faith and trust in God is tested.
As you read through the devotional, Evans keeps bringing the reader back to Scripture.
This is not simply a collection of inspirational thoughts. Scripture is intended to be the foundation for the devotional material. Each entry begins with a selected biblical passage or verse, followed by reflection and application.
That is important because Christian encouragement becomes shallow when it is disconnected from God's Word.
The interactive challenges are a particularly good feature. Evans doesn't simply say, "Trust God." He encourages readers to consider what trusting God actually looks like in their circumstances.
One of the book's best qualities is that the answer to turbulence isn't presented as "God will make everything go the way you want."
Instead, the emphasis is on God's faithfulness and presence.
That's a much more biblical foundation for Christian hope.
Readers shouldn't approach this expecting a lengthy theological examination of suffering or divine sovereignty. The format is deliberately accessible: Scripture, reflection, and application. That makes it easy to read one entry a day.
I see this as a devotional I will return to in the future.
Highly recommended.
No comments:
Post a Comment